Thursday, November 3, 2011

Visitors!

About two weeks ago now I got a text message from my mom…
Pamcakes: Or would Friday be better?
Me: What do you mean?
Pamcakes: How could I make it any clearer?

Hmm… Maybe you could explain what was going on?! So I called my mother and it turned out that she had sent me a previous text that I had not received about her coming down to see me that night. I was beyond excited. Sometimes living in the Keys can feel very cutoff from the rest of the world, and I really miss my family, so it’s nice to see people from the real world/mainland.

Hayley and Pamcakes came down last Sunday night and spent the whole day with me on Sunday in Marathon. First we ate at IHOP. Delicious! I hadn’t eaten there since Tan came down for Easter. After that we went to the Turtle Hospital.



We learned about sea turtles, some things I knew before, and some things I didn’t. For example I knew that all seven species of sea turtles in the world are endangered. I did not know that green sea turtles are actually named for their body fat which has a distinct green hue because of all the sea grass they eat.  The best part was that we got to see lots of cute little turtles there, including Scooter.



Scooter is three years old and adorable. He’s a loggerhead sea turtle. I watched him swim around for awhile, but we weren’t allowed to touch any of the sea turtles which is no fun at all.

This guy, Izzy, got hit by a boat propeller. He’s a green sea turtle.



This was Mom’s favorite sea turtle, Corona. I know you think it’s her favorite because of how much she loves to drink beer, but actually she just loved his beautiful shell.




If you ever come down to Marathon, you should definitely check out the Turtle Hospital. The tour is about an hour and a half and it doesn’t seem that long. It’s definitely worth the fee.

We also went to Sombrero Beach for awhile. It’s one of the few sandy beaches in the Florida Keys. It’s gorgeous there. We laid around and read books. Hayley tried to get the tan that she lost when she left summer camp (It didn’t work).



Then we went to Sunset Grille with Milledge. The food was delicious, and we made it in time for sunset which was nice. It was sad to see Mom and Hayley leave, but we had a great time. Now I’m even more excited to see most of the family at Thanksgiving, which is coming up soon.  Happy November!

1 comment: